Friday, February 11, 2011

Cleopatra's Beach and Thievery

Alas after 5 and a half months of biking, plus 2 and a half years living in Albania, plus 4 years at university, my camera is finally gone. My beloved Canon Rebel XT was the newest model when I purchased it and over the years we have traveled side by side around the world. Today someone stole that camera from me. Super sad face. The stupid thing is whoever took it won't be able to use it (the screen was busted but I know the controls well enough to sidestep that issue) and will only get the satisfaction of stealing a month's worth of my Egyptian memories. I regret not being able to share my beautiful photos even along the northern coast...

Chris and I woke inside our cave at Agiba beach, listening to the sound of waves crashing on the rocks below. We ate bananas while hiding from the wind, watching the sky illuminate from inside our cozy sleeping bag.

From Agiba cove we backtracked along the sand swept highway, stopping in several markets to look for food. I'd like to share pictures of the half buried summer homes, whose yards and doorways flood with soft white sand. The few shops seem to be wiped clean except for chips, chocolate, and a few rotten vegetables, though somehow Chris managed to guzzle milk from a dusty carton on a back shelf and choke down a stale Swiss roll.


Bike on the empty beach

After another brief stop at Saleh's house next to the bakery, where we witnessed near anarchy as the gas delivery truck ran out of canisters, Chris and I biked onward and down to the beach. En route we were waved and whistled at by several people, those we spoke with jokingly remarked American? Obama! Bush no! Mubarak no!


Saleh's son doodling while we drink tea and eat bread. My group photo is gone...


Random church with greek decor near Cleopatra

Cleopatra's beach, which is probably jam packed during the summer, sits completely barren in the winter. We walked past abandoned and broken refreshment stands, everything covered in pools of white sand, then along the strangely deformed sandstone beach cliffs. The water is cold and rough, but remains a beautiful aquamarine color, collecting in hundreds of shallow pools. Try as he might Chris could find no starfish.


Churning waters at Cleopatra Beach


One of many small islands along Cleopatra Beach's shore


A calm moment overlooking the "toilet bowl" at Cleopatra

We spent several hours wandering the beach, taking photos (how pointless!), building sand castles, and searching for another camping cave. All the while not another soul was out, except for some men from a nearby construction site. We saw them come take a look at us twice, not paying too much attention under the assumption that they were just curious. It's hard not to draw conclusions, but if anyone was suspicious or had the knowledge of what possessions we had, these guys would be the first I send the police after. Unfortunately for us there is a revolution afoot and the normally oppressive police have abandoned ship.




Just as my camera was stolen.... don't I look happy?

As a light rain began pouring we decided to take one last look at the water before departing. Not wanting to take my camera bag out to get wet, I tucked it underneath our bikes and bags, concealing it from view. We walked out to the coast edge for exactly 15 minutes (verified by the clock on the videos Chris took) and when I came back my bag had been pulled out, camera extracted, and zipped back up. We can only conclude someone was watching me and waited for the perfect moment. On the plus side they could have run off with my entire bag, which would leave me without my passports, money, and iTouch. Al Hamdulilah!

No comments: